- Truckaroo Only 2 dates left before summer is over (8/16 & 9/6). Cold drinks (adult drinks too!) + shady picnic areas + over 20 food trucks + games + live music + 11am-11pm + across from Navy Yard metro station
- National’s Game To beat the heat try a night game + most of the park is uncovered so bring a hat + sunscreen! For the most shade get seats on the 3rd base side + Avoid sections 135-137 on the 1st base side if you’re hoping for shade!
- Fountains & Spray Parks There a so many options in the DC area to cool off for kiddos (brave adults too!) + Columbia Heights Civic Plaza is our fav + frozen yogurt nearby + relax in the grassy area + be warned there isn’t much shade! + click on the link for a list of all DC has to offer!
- Uber Ice Cream Trucks This might be the most genius idea ever + We all know Uber for their on-demand cab service but they just took it to a whole other level + download the Uber app + request the “ice cream” option + a truck will be with you within minutes! + No cash needed (charged via Uber account) + so far this is NOT offered all the time + only on specific dates + follow Uber’s twitter account to stay updated!
- Outdoor Movies The DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area will be showing outdoor movies + all summer long + Free + Open to public + starts @ sundown (9pm ish) + Canal Park’s DC VS Marvel Comics theme is great for those who love superhero flicks + Bethesda’s version includes movie classics + current releases + don’t forget a blanket & bug spray (just in case!) + click on the link for the extensive list!
- IMAX Smithsonian 3 locations in DC + National Air & Space Museum + National Museum of Natural History + Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center + watch Space Junk 3D, Star Trek, Flight of the Butterflies, Journey into the Stars & many more + check out Einstein’s Planetarium as well + playing One World, One Sky for the kiddos + 10:30am showing is free!
- DC Beer Festival Sept 6th 7-10pm + Sept 7th 1-4pm & 6-9pm + National’s Park + $40 admission + Unlimited tastings + Food not included + craft breweries + local DC breweries
- DC Night Tours Don’t you dare brave the heat during the day checking out DC’s fav sites + go at night instead + you can go on your own or book a tour + popular bookings include a night time trolley tour, night bike tour, boat tours, even night segway tours!
- Sweetgreen Passport Stay in shape + save money + Sign up to receive notification of free workouts all around the DC area + most offers exclusive to Sweetgreen Passport members!
Bethesda Restaurant Week 7/29-8/4 + Experience the myriad of eating options Bethesda has to offer + 2 & 3 courses lunches for $12-16 + 3 course dinners for $33 + Yellow Ribbon Fund receives 10% of all sales + over 20 restaurants participating!
What a great holiday weekend in DC! My mom came for a visit, we visited memorials, braved the humidity, & ate a lot of yummy food! I recommend Freddy’s in Bethesda for lobster rolls (warm with butter or cold with mayo) and Floriana on 17th St in DC for authentic Italian food + romantic setting. Also check our Boqueria in DuPont during happy hour for sangria + tapas. We also experienced the Imagination Stage in Bethesda + interactive theater for toddlers! Happy Independence Day!!!
If you’re new to the DC metro area, follow us! We’re documenting our favorite things to do/see, plus any survival tips we can pass along. Discover the DMV through the eyes of a Texas transplant.